Wednesday, January 30, 2008

WTF, Mate?

Sometimes I keep the tv on in the background while I study (especially today watching last season's season finale of LOST). Normally, I don't pay much attention and don't get distracted. Then again, when you hear "When a girl in Southern Africa has a period, she has to miss school for a week." WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWait! Did I just hear that? A girl has a period and has to miss school for a whole week? I mean, I know my girlfriend is a firm believer in doing nothing but slave driving me around for a whole week and doesn't go to class, but in all seriousness a girl in Africa can't go to school for a whole week because she doesn't have pads?

Tampax certainly suggests so. Their newest marketing pitch is that if you buy their pads, they will send pads to girls in southern Africa so that they can go to school the week of their period. The modern menstrual tampon has only been around since the 1930s (previously a tampon was used to treat bullet wounds), but women have been having their period since, well, forever. According to wikipedia. Now, I may not be a rocket scientist, or a Gyno, but I am on law review (and I'm still looking to figure out where that counts for something, so I will try to make it lend me credence here), can't these starving, cramping southern African women just wrap a rag around their "bathing suit area" (That famous phrase had to come from somewhere-or some practice)? I mean, I have picture of me walking around in a non-disposable diaper (I think they were all the trend back in 84)- I turned out fine, after all, I made law review (Oooh, twice!) Did a little poopy diaper keep me from terrorizing the neighborhood? Heck no! If these southern African women are as dedicated to school as they claim on tv, should a little rag keep them from going to school? Wear your red skirt that week (Maybe one day I'll share the story about the kid in kindergarten who was not potty trained and had to wear brown pants everyday).

Anyway, check out the sight for yourself Protecting Futures - Tampax.

A bit of disclaimer: This is slightly,errr mostly, tongue in cheek. By no means do I flippantly disregard the importance of sanitation, health, and medical concerns in Africa . . . nor the utmost importance my girlfriend's many needs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thoroughly enjoyed the post :-).

Guy Fawkes said...

Damn that disclaimer. I thought Phaedrus was a true misogynist.