Monday, May 19, 2008

Feeling Underdressed...

The other two clerks in the office started today. One of the attorneys took the three of us to a hearing on a motion for a preliminary injunction on the U. of Texas affirmative action admissions program. I knew about this hearing last Friday, but the wording of the e-mail instructing me to attend led me to think that it was an internal administrative hearing by the University. Clearly, I was mistaken.

Since our office dress code is "casual" by most standards (for men, khakis and a tucked-in collared shirt), I showed up at work wearing my usual khakis and dress shirt. I was mortified when I heard that we were going to a federal court hearing. To make matters worse, both of the other clerks independently decided to wear a suit on the first day of work even though it is not required (or even preferred). Needless to say, I was the only person in the hearing who was not wearing a coat and tie. I was even more conspicuous because I chose a light green shirt, a color that starkly contrasts with the usual coat and tie colors. At least the judge didn't call me out. Apparently he is known to do such things, so perhaps I just lucked out.

No comments: