Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Small Joys of Law School

Direct quote from a career services e-mail sent out today:

"LSLA invites applications for four volunteer full time summer law clerk positions for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do legal work with poor people in Texas on Galveston Island.

Compensation: None. Applicants are expected to obtain a grant or scholarship from their law school or public interest foundation.

The successful applicant should possess: Sense of outrage at injustice;...willingness to work beyond confines of the normal business day when required to do so and to travel when necessary"

That certainly sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to me. I'm glad that someone is out there to give me the chance to work for free. Not only that, but I'm also glad I have to APPLY to work for free. In fact, that's why I came to law school. I took out thousands of dollars in loans and put myself through the ninth circle of hell so I could work for nothing. I have news for organizations that solicit law students to volunteer to help poor people: LAW STUDENTS ARE POOR PEOPLE.

I think I might make a good applicant because I possess a strong sense of outrage at injustice. For instance, I am outraged that competent, intelligent, personable law students can't get summer jobs because their classmates who already have pre-arranged jobs take on-campus interview slots "for practice." I am also outraged that my undergraduate degree and year of legal education will be put to excellent use over the summer...waiting tables. I am also willing to work beyond the confines of normal business hours; hell, I do it every day. In fact, I am quite accustomed to putting in serious overtime doing legal research, preparing for class, and making outlines. Indeed, I believe I am uniquely qualified for this position.

No comments: