Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Papers, papers, and more papers

20 days after my last final I am still writing papers. I still have 10 days left to procrastinate. After editing (and often rewriting) 5 issues of Law Review, I have adopted a new approach to writing: I call it Think Like a Scholar. Basically, I write the paper without spending too much time on research before hand. As I write a sentence that needs authority to back up my assertion, I add the dreaded [ADD AUTHORITY] in the footnote. This approach of not backing up your assertions and finding a source to support your statement after writing the paper was very popular among every article I had for law review this past year. It has worked out well for me. For next year's junior editors, I've already added a hot key that automatically inserts "[ADD AUTHORITY]" in a footnote.

No comments: